Aldaco’s Pastel Tres Leches – the “IT” Three Milk Cake

Aldaco's Pastel Tres Leches

Recipe courtesy of La Maestra Blanca Aldaco, Aldaco’s

Print Recipe
Aldaco's Pastel Tres Leches - the "IT" Three Milk Cake
Tres leches cake was first introduced to San Antonio in 1989, largely through the efforts of Blanca Aldaco. Since then, you can find it at numerous places across town, but Aldaco still serves the best to be had. 😉
Aldaco's Pastel Tres Leches
Aldaco's Pastel Tres Leches
Votes: 0
Rating: 0
You:
Rate this recipe!
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius). Grease and flour a 9-inch (23-cm) spring form pan (cake tin), sift the flour and baking powder together.
  2. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with mixer until frothy. Add the sugar and beat to form stiff peaks, then add the egg yolks one at a time. Turn down the mixer to a slower speed and add one-third of the flour and one-third of the milk. Repeat until all the flour and milk are incorporated; then add the vanilla. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry. Let cool for 5 minutes and remove from the pan. Cut the cake into 2 layers.
  3. In a bowl, combine the evaporated milk, condensed milk and whole milk. If you wish, stir in the brandy. *Chef's Special Instruction - "Now, soaking the cake is a labor of love – we put the cake on a cookie sheet with lip in slanted position therefore the milk will seep out and continue to put the milk through, pour it on the cake. We do that step at least 6 times." Pour half of the milk mixture over the bottom layer of cake, cover with the top layer of cake and pour the remaining milk mixture over it.
  4. To prepare the frosting, beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar in a large bowl until the whites hold soft peaks. Set aside.
  5. Mix the water, sugar and lime peel in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until a candy thermometer registers 238 degrees Fahrenheit (120 degrees Celsius) or soft ball. Remove from the heat and add the beaten egg whites in a thin stream. Beat for 6 minutes or until mixture is stiff.
  6. Cover the top and sides of the cake with the frosting and refrigerate until just before serving.

10 Responses to Aldaco’s Pastel Tres Leches – the “IT” Three Milk Cake

Vincent Cobb says: February 4, 2017 at 4:23 am

I wanted to print this recipe out, but my pc keeps saying this website is unsafe, may infect your system, and won’t let me.

Tanji says: February 4, 2017 at 9:49 am

Have you tried updating your browser? All should be fine 🙂

Vincent Cobb says: February 5, 2017 at 11:14 am

My pc is less than a year old and uses Windows 10. I’m not having that problem with any other websites I’ve been to. So, I don’t know. I Googled the recipe and found it somewhere else and printed it. Thanks for trying though. I like the show, by-the-way.

Jackie says: February 5, 2017 at 7:45 pm

I tried this cake and it was not spongy. It was tough. Why would you beat the egg whites and then add the other ingredients? Shouldn’t you gently fold the whites into the rest? Otherwise what is point of beating the whites?

Tanji says: February 6, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Jackie-

Here is what Blanca, the chef/owner, recommends….….. We do the whites first until they form peaks, then add 1 yolk at a time, then we add the flour and milk as directed.

Now, soaking the cake is a labor of love – we put the cake in a cookie sheet with lip in slanted position therefore the milk will seep out and continue to put the milk through. We do that step at least 6 times.

Jan says: February 4, 2017 at 9:55 pm

I made the Tres Leches today and the cake was not spongy. It was tough. Where did I mess up? Do you add the egg yokes to the egg whites or mix the yolks with flour and milk and then gently fold in egg whites? Icing was perfect. Thanks for your help.

Tanji says: February 6, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Jan-I sent your request to Blanca, the owner, and here is her reply…
    YES ONE AT A TIME….. We do the whites first until they form peaks, then add 1 yolk at a time, then we add the flour and milk as directed.

Tina says: February 15, 2017 at 11:25 pm

I made cake exactly as directed … (Beat egg whites first until frothy, then add sugar and beat to form stiff peaks, then add in egg yokes one at a time) … And had the same result as Jan and Jackie. Cake was hard and tough (not spongy). Are we sure that the recipe has the correct amount of flour 2 1/2 cups … Other recipes I see call for only 1 1/2 cups … Or maybe I just didn’t put enough love into getting the liquid to absorb into the cake.

Tanji says: February 18, 2017 at 7:57 am

Tina-I reached out to Blanca and received more detail from her on how they do the cake, the step where the milks are poured. Here is what she said, and I’ve also added it to the recipe.
    In a bowl, combine the evaporated milk, condensed milk and whole milk. If you wish, stir in the brandy. *Chef’s Special Instruction – “Now, soaking the cake is a labor of love – we put the cake on a cookie sheet with lip in slanted position therefore the milk will seep out and continue to put the milk through, pour it on the cake. We do that step at least 6 times.” Pour half of the milk mixture over the bottom layer of cake, cover with the top layer of cake and pour the remaining milk mixture over it.

Vincent Cobb says: February 20, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Follow Up: When I try to use the print icon on your website this is what I get:

This website has been reported as unsafe

We recommend that you do not continue to this website. It has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information.
Go to my home page instead
More information   
This website has been reported to contain the following threats:
Phishing threat: This is a phishing website that impersonates a trusted website to trick you into revealing personal or financial information.
Report that this site does not contain threats
Disregard and continue (not recommended)
Microsoft SmartScreen