Before you plan that next summer dinner party, or attend the season’s big dinner bash, there are some basics you can’t afford to overlook. Diane Gottsman, a national etiquette expert, shares these tips from her blog that are her dining etiquette essentials…
1. Wait for your host before placing your napkin on your lap.
2. Keep your elbows off the table.
3. When in doubt, use the “D” – “B” rule. Drinks on right; bread on left.
4. Don’t use your napkin as a hankie.
5. Spoon soup away from your body…
6. “Continental Style” is the most efficient style of dining.
7. Cut only one piece of food at a time.
8. Never say, “Ooh, I don’t like.”
9. Pace yourself. Don’t be the first or last to finish your meal.
10. Pass items at the table counter clockwise.
11. Salt and pepper are sent around the table together.
12. Break off one small piece of bread at a time.
13. Do not butter the entire roll.
14. Do not ask for a doggie bag.
15. Don’t forget to thank your host, in writing, within 24 hours.