These are beautifully tender, fall-off-the-bone baby back ribs dressed in a sweet and spicy Apple Jalapeño BBQ Sauce. Many thanks to Susie Bulloch of Hey Grill, Hey for sharing with Goodtaste!
- Begin by removing the membrane on the back of the ribs.
- Slather both sides of the ribs with the yellow mustard and
season liberally with the sweet rub.
- Prepare your smoker for indirect smoking. Target temperature is
between 180-200 with heavy smoke. I use apple wood for this recipe. Place the
seasoned ribs on the smoker and close the lid. Leave them to smoke for 3 hours.
- Tear off a large piece of aluminum foil and place it on a large
working surface. Transfer the ribs to the foil bone side up so the bones don’t
tear through the foil. Sprinkle with the brown sugar, top with the butter cut
into small pads, and then pour over the apple juice. Once the liquid has
settled, top with the sliced jalapeños.
- Tightly crimp the foil together to create an airtight seal.
Return to the grill and increase your cooking temperature to as close to 225
degrees as you can get it. Let the ribs braise for 2 hours in the foil.
- Carefully remove the ribs from the grill and place on a large
working surface. Open the foil package (be careful of hot steam) and use tongs
to remove the ribs and place them back on the grill, bone side down. Remove the
cooked jalapeños from the braising liquid and set aside. Discard the foil and
excess cooking liquid.
- Brush the ribs with the Apple Jalapeño BBQ Sauce and arrange the
jalapeño slices you set aside on top of the ribs. Close the lid of your grill
and cook at 225 degrees for an additional hour until the ribs are done to your
desired tenderness and the sauce is sticky and set.
- Slice into individual ribs and serve with additional sauce on
For the “Secret” Sweet Rub:
Combine all ingredients for the rub in a small bowl and set aside.
For the Apple Jalapeño BBQ Sauce:
In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients and whisk to combine. Cook over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a lidded jar and chill in the refrigerator overnight before using. Will last 2 weeks in the fridge if stored in an airtight container.
- 2 racks XX baby back ribs
- 4 tablespoons XX "secret" sweet rub (below)
- 1/4 cup XX yellow mustard
- 2 cups XX apple juice
- 1/2 cup XX dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons XX salted butter
- 2 XX medium jalapeños sliced into rings
- 1 cup XX Apple Jalapeño BBQ Sauce (below)
"Secret" Sweet Rub: 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoon XX brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon XX kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon XX cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon XX paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon XX ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon XX cayenne pepper
Apple Jalapeño BBQ Sauce: 1 cup
- 3/4 cup XX ketchup
- 1/2 cup XX apple juice
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons XX apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons XX brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon XX molasses
- 1/2 tablespoon XX black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon XX garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon XX onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon XX celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon XX ground coriander
- 1/2 XX medium jalapeño finely diced (seeds removed if you want mild sauce)