Mary Martini, who runs Central Market’s fabulous Cooking School, showed me how to make this delicious dish. We used a butternut squash but you could use any winter squash variety. This dish is the perfect holiday crowd pleaser.
Heat butter and olive oil in a sauté pan. Add the leeks and cook until soft. Set aside. Add the butter and flour to a pan and cook for a minute. Slowly whisk in the hot milk and cook until thick, about 6-8 minutes. Add the nutmeg and season with salt & pepper. Set sauce aside. Butter or oil a 9 x 13” baking dish. Layer 1/3- of the noodles in the baking dish, 1/3 of the sauce, half of the squash and 1/3 of the cheese.
Place another layer of noodles, 1/3 of the sauce, the other half of the squash and 1/3 of the cheese. Top with noodles, 1/3 of the sauce and 1/3 of the cheese. Cover with oiled foil.
Bake covered in a 350-degree oven for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake another 20 minutes or until bubbling and cooked through. Let sit and rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
- 1 pound Fresh pasta (lasagna) sheets, cooked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 Large leeks, thinly sliced and washed
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 4 cups Milk (heated in the microwave to warm)
- 1 pinch Nutmeg (optional)
- 2 pound Butternut squash roasted, scoop out flesh
- 1 container (16 ounces) Ricotta cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Fresh thyme, minced
- 1 1/2 cup Mozzarella or Provolone cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated