Looking for a great dessert for Mother’s Day? You’re going to love this Creamy Chocolate and Strawberry Cake. The recipe is from H-E-B, and you will get lots of ‘hugs and kisses’ from Mom when you bring it out on her special day!!
Rosie Benner develops ALL the recipes that you find at H-E-B, and they’re fabulous.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 35 minutes
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Spray two 8-inch cake pans and line with parchment paper. Beat the egg whites in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form and set aside.
2. Combine the sugar, sugar replacement, cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the half and half, hot coffee, olive oil and vanilla to the flour mixture and blend with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Gently fold the soupy batter in the whipped egg and divide batter into the prepared pans.
3. Bake the cakes 35 minutes and cool in pans 20 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and completely cool on wire racks.
4. Spread the top of first layer with the strawberry jelly and frost top layer with the whipped topping. Decorate the top of the cake with sliced strawberries if desired.
Makes: 16 slices
Nutrition Facts: 1/16 slice
Calories 270, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 180 mg, Total Carbohydrate 37 g, Dietary Fiber 2 g, Sugars 19 g, Protein 3 g.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 fats, 2 ¼ starches, ½ lean meat
- 4 large H-E-B EGG WHITES
- 1 1/4 cups H-E-B SUGAR
- 1 cup HILL COUNTRY FARE 0 CALORIE SWEETENER
- 1 cup H-E-B BAKER’S SCOOP COCOA POWDER
- 2 cups H-E-B SOFT WHEAT FLOUR
- 1 1/2 teaspoons BAKING SODA
- 1 1/2 teaspoons BAKING POWDER
- 1 teaspoon SALT
- 1 cup H-E-B HALF & HALF
- 1 cup boiling COFFEE
- ¾ cup H-E-B EXTRA LIGHT OLIVE OIL
- 2 1/2 teaspoons H-E-B BAKER’S SCOOP VANILLA
- ¼ cup H-E-B MORE FRUIT STRAWBERRY SPREAD
- 2 cups HILL COUNTRY FARE LITE WHIPPED TOPPING
- 1 cup sliced STRAWBERRIES