This is one of my favorite items from the menu at Backstreet Cafe. Chef Hugo Ortega says it’s one of his favs too! I love how the earthy flavor of the beets and the bright notes of the citrus mix with the farro and herbs. Not only is the dish satisfying, it’s healthy, too! There’s honey included in that delectable dressing 🙂
For dressing (make ahead up to 5 days): Whisk together orange juice, honey, black pepper and mustard. In asteady stream, slowly add olive oil. Add salt to taste. Store dressing in an air-tight container if making ahead. Shake well before using.
To assemble: Place farro in a bowl. Add thyme and toss. Add dressing and toss to combine. Add arugula and mix. Arrange 5 slices of red beets in a circular fan on each of six plates, followed by 4 slices of yellow beets and 3 orange segments. Evenly divide farro among the six plates, forming a mound in the center. Garnish each with 1 tablespoon feta cheese. Serve.
- Juice of 2 medium oranges
- 1 ½ teaspoons honey
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- 3 fluid ounces olive oil
- 1 pound farro, cooked according to packaged directions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cups arugula
- 4 red beets, roasted, thinly sliced
- 2 yellow beets, roasted, thinly sliced
- 1 medium orange, peeled, cut into segments
- 6 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled