A Fiesta-themed, Italian cream cake that’s sure to be a fan-favorite year-round! Watch Chef Suzie in this video for how it comes together…there’s no wrong way to color things up with the icing – Go nuts!
- Preheat standard oven to 325 degrees F.
- Have all ingredients at room temperature. Using electric mixer beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add ½ cup of sugar and beat until the consistency of meringue. Set aside.
- Cream butter, the remaining sugar, salt and vanilla, adding egg yolks one at a time until consistency of whipped cream.
- Stir baking soda into buttermilk. Add this mixture alternately with the flour to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
- Fold in egg whites, then nuts and coconut.
- Bake for approx. 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Remove from oven, cool 5-10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on racks.
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Garnish: toasted coconut (optional)
Three 9” round cakes