Get a good look at this gluten-free dark chocolate chestnut cake before it’s all gone! This perfect holiday dessert comes from Pastry Chef Catherine Rodriguez of The Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa.
the oven to 300 degrees F (150C).
the pan with melted butter or spray and line with parchment.
- 1. Cream softened butter in mixer with
paddle attachment and then mix in chestnut spread.
- 2. Separate the eggs. Add the egg yolks to chestnut and butter
- 3. Sift cornstarch and baking powder into
the chestnut and butter mixture.
- 4. Stir until well combined.
5. Beat the egg whites on medium speed until
soft peaks are formed.
6. Add a small amount of egg whites to
chestnut mixture to lighten. Fold in
remaining egg whites until well combined.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and
bake in an 8″ or 9″ round cake pan for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Partially melt
chocolate in a double boiler. Bring the
cream to a boil, and then add in the melted chocolate slowly in sections and
stir to create an emulsion.
- Pour into a
tall narrow container. Finish by using
emulsion blender. Be sure to create a
vortex to get rid of any bubbles in the ganache. Cool to 95°F – 104°F and then glaze cake. Let cake set up.
- Decorate the
cake using a St. Honoré tip to create a pretty design. Finish with a candied chestnut.
IngredientsFor the Cake:
- 2 tablespoons XX cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons XX baking powder
- 4 XX eggs
- 1 stick XX unsalted butter, softened (114g)
- 1 can (35 oz.) XX chestnut spread, crème de marrons (1 kilo)
- 1/8 teaspoon XX salt
Ingredients for Glaze:
- 10 oz. XX dark chocolate cacao 66% (284 g)
- 1-1/2 cup XX whipping cream (340 g)