Ceviche is one of the most popular dishes in Veracruz. This is a new version of a traditional ceviche recipe inspired by the fresh ingredients found in the Gulf of Mexico.
Preparing the Fish
Put Snapper, shrimp and crab meat into a bowl. Cover with lime and orange juice, salt to taste and macerate for half an hour. Rinse fish mixture and drain. Return to bowl.
Preparing the Marinade
Blend together catsup, orange soda, olive oil and chile habanero and pour on top of fish mixture. Mix onions, chiles serranos, tomatoes, olives and cilantro. Pour all ingredients into bowl and mix until well coated with marinade. Let mixture marinade in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
Fill serving cups with ceviche, garnishing with cilantro, avocado slices and a lime wedge. Serve with Saltine crackers.
- 2 lb Red snapper,cut in 1 by 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 lb Miniature shrimp
- 1/4 lb Crab meat
- Juice of 15 large limes
- Juice of 2 large oranges
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 1/2 Purple onions, finely chopped
- 6 Chiles (serranos or jalapenos), finely chopped
- 3 Large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 c Pimento-stuffed green olives cut into slices
- 1 c Olive oil
- 3 c Catsup
- 1 c Orange soda
- 1 Habanero pepper
- 1/2 c Cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 T|Fresh cilantro
- 1 Avocado, cut into slices
- Lime wedges
- Saltine crackers