The hidden alcove that is Backstreet Café in H-town is back with their mouth-watering braised, black pepper short ribs…and they’re in a league of their own! Have you also tried their delectable macaroni and cheese? Marvelous many times over!
For the short ribs (make ahead up to 3 days):
Pass short ribs through egg wash and then black pepper, making sure short ribs are completely coated with black pepper. Evenly distribute salt among short ribs. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 375F.
Place a Dutch oven or oven-proof pot over medium heat, add olive oil to pan and preheat 1 minute. Sear each short rib. Work in batches as not to overcrowd pot during searing process. Place seared short ribs on a sheet pan and cover with aluminum foil. In same pot, add carrot, onion and celery and sauté for 3 minutes. Add demi-glace or wine plus ¾ cup water. Return short ribs to pot and cover. Make sure liquid covers the short ribs at least ¾ of the way. Place in oven and braise for 2 to 2 ½ hours, checking liquid level every hour.
Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. If making ahead, allow short ribs to cool completely and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Remove short ribs from liquid and remove meat from bone. Coarsely chop the meat and set aside.
Place sauté pan over medium heat, add oil to pan and preheat 1 minute. Add shallots and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add butternut squash and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add carrot and potato and sauté 3 minutes. Add celery and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in bell pepper and green onion. Cook for 1 minute more. Add hash and cook until warm. Remove from heat.
Evenly distribute hash among 6 plates. Place a poached egg on top of hash for each serving.
- 6 short ribs (about 3 lbs)
- 2 eggs combined with ¼ cup milk
- 2 ½ tablespoons mixture of freshly ground and fine ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small carrot, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ celery stalk, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup demi-glace or red wine of choice, optional
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- ½ medium butternut squash, peeled, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 1 medium Yukon potato, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 2 medium celery stalks, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, deveined, cut into ¼ inch pieces
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 6 poached eggs