I have no complaints with this decorative dessert…who would?! It’s triple the chocolate for Fig Tree’s Bouche de Noel, or “yule log.” Savory powdered sugar sprinkled across whipped layers of moist Genoise cake, filled with rich chocolate mousse and a butter cream icing to top it all off. Yes, please!
Chocolate Genoise Cake:
1. In a mixer beat 5 egg yolks with 1/2 c of granulated sugar. Mix until the eggs and sugar triple in volume. Transfer into a large mixing bowl.
2. Combine 5 egg whites with 1/4 c of sugar and whip until this also triples in volume.
3. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the eggs, yolks and sugar from step 1 in three equal parts.
4. Finally fold in the sifted flour and cocoa powder.
5. Place Genoise Batter on a 1/2 sheet tray lined with parchment paper, bake at 350 for 12-15 min.
6. Remove and cool for 5 minutes.
7. Place a clean non-terry cloth dish towel on a counter and sprinkle with powdered sugar or cocoa. Put on top of cake and invert pan onto dish cloth. Roll up cake with dish cloth jelly roll style. Transfer cake to a wire rack and let it continue to cool.
Milk Chocolate Mousse:
1. Melt chocolate – cool.
2. Whip heavy cream until it reaches a stiff peak.
3. Fold together with salt and Baileys.
4. Refrigerate for later use.
After cake has cooled, gently unroll and frost with milk chocolate mousse. Then, roll from the long side. Cut both ends at a bias and reserved. Ice cake with butter cream. Ice the ends and place as desired to create the illusion of a log. You can sift powdered sugar on top to resemble snow and dip a fork into the melted chocolate and lightly drag across the frosting to resemble tree bark.
Dark Chocolate Butter Cream:
1. Melt Chocolate – cool.
2. Whip butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar.
3. Add chocolate.
4. Keep a little bit of the melted chocolate for decorating.
1. Remove cake from sheet pan and spread mousse in an even layer and roll.
2. Cut both ends at a bias an reserve.
3. Ice cake with butter cream.
4. Ice end and place them as desired to create the illusion of a log.
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (divided)
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 10 oz. milk chocolate
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 1/3 t salt
- 3 t Baileys
- 10 oz. dark chocolate
- ¾ cup cream cheese
- ¾ cup butter
- 2 cup powdered sugar