A drizzle of olive oil on top of this delicious soup will have you dreaming of Tuscany! Served with a green salad and some crusty bread – you could make a meal out of it. This recipe is courtesy Pat Mozersky. Enjoy!
Heat oil over medium heat in a 3-quart stockpot. Add garlic, sage, thyme, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes. Increase heat to medium high and add white wine. Cook for several minutes until wine has reduced to about half. Add beans and broth and simmer mixture for 30 minutes. Purée all or part of the soup if desired. This will give the soup additional body. Add sliced sausage if using, then simmer the soup until hot throughout.
Serve in warm bowls garnished with chopped chives and parmigiano. Drizzle a bit more olive oil on top. Serve with crusty bread and a green salad.
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 3 (15-ounce) cans cannellini or great northern white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup thinly sliced smoked sausage (optional)