Banger's Sausage House & Beer Garden Shakshuka
This is an Israeli vegetarian breakfast specialty! Spicy tomato and pepper stew with four eggs poached into it. The sauce is incredibly flavorful and very Mediterranean...reminds me of something you'd taste in Spain - with vibrant flavors of tomato, red bell pepper and paprika.
- 11/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion medium diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic thin sliced
- 3 oz red bell pepper medium diced (1/2 of 1 medium pepper)
- 3 oz green bell pepper medium diced (1/2 of 1 medium pepper)
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes
- 11/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 tsp ½ chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika or chipotle powder
- 1/4 tsp Spanish paprika
- Cayenne pepper to taste depending on your heat level
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric or a pinch?
- 1/4 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeds and all
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1/4 cup Water
- 6 eggs
- Feta cheese to garnish
- Cilantro to garnish
- In a medium to large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, bell peppers, jalapenos, and serranos, and sweat until onions are translucent and peppers are soft. Add all dry spices and mix well.
- Deglaze with 1/4 cup water, and add crushed tomatoes, roma tomatoes, and tomato paste. Simmer on low until thick and stew-like.To finish, crack 6 eggs on top of shakshuka. Finish in 400⁰ oven until eggs are to your liking. (4-6 minutes for over easy. 10 minutes for over medium. 12 minutes for over hard).
- Sprinkle top with feta cheese and cilantro. Serve with pita bread or corn tortilla chips.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!