Image Credit: Alison Miksch, Photographer; Kay Clarke, Prop Stylist; Anna Hampton, Food Stylist
Cola Brown Sugar Glazed Ham
We love everything about this ham from Elizabeth Heiskell's new cookbook, "What Can I Bring?" Just as its name proclaims, this Cola Brown Sugar Glazed Ham uses a little soda for this exceptionally juicy ham recipe. There's even a little hint of orange for a delightfully bright twist.
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 12-ounce can cola soft drink
- 1⁄2 cup spicy brown mustard
- 3 cup tablespoons orange zest plus 1⁄4 fresh juice (from 4 oranges)
- 1 fully cooked, bone-in spiral-cut ham, 15- to 18-pound
Optional "Jezebel Sauce"
- 1 cup apple jelly
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1⁄2 cup horseradish sauce
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- Preheat the oven to 275°F. Stir together the brown sugar, cola soft drink, mustard, orange zest, and orange juice in a medium saucepan over medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar melts, about 10 minutes.
- Place the ham on a heavy-duty aluminum foil-lined, large rimmed baking sheet or in a shallow roasting pan. Brush the ham with 1 1⁄3 cups of the brown sugar mixture. Bake the ham 2 hours and 30 minutes to 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes with 1⁄3 cup brown sugar mixture. Let stand 30 minutes before serving.
- Place the apple jelly in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH until melted, about 30 seconds. Whisk in the marmalade, horseradish sauce, and mustard. Serve with the pork, ham, chicken, or shrimp.
Excerpted from What Can I Bring? by Elizabeth Heiskell. Copyright © 2017 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Meredith Corporation. New York, NY. All rights reserved.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!