Image Credit: The Epicurean Publicist
El Tiempo Cantina Carnitas Tacos
This recipe from our friends at El Tiempo Cantina in Houston is one we've lusted after for years! Simple ingredients make these Pork Carnitas tacos so irresistible but it's the ease of cooking that we think you'll love the most.
- 10 lbs. Pork Butt
- 1/2 cup Kosher salt
- 1/2 Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 cup Cumin
- 1/2 cup Onion Powder
- 1/2 cup Granulated Garlic
- 2 gallons raw lard
- 6 each oranges halved
- Dry pat the pork butt and cut into softball size pieces.
- Mix all the seasonings into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Season the pork butt pieces one by one until fully coated. Do not mix all at once.
- Place into wax paper lined sheet pan and cover. Refrigerate for 12 hours.
- In a medium hot stock pot heat the lard until melted. Do not let it come to smoking point.
- Add seasoned pork but pieces and cook for 30 minutes.
- Constantly stir the pork butts to ensure even cooking.
- After 20 minutes add orange halves and cook for 10 more minutes.
- When done, let the carnitas cool for 15 minutes and then transfer into 1/3 pans with melted lard and orange halves.
- Follow proper cooling procedures and then store properly refrigerate.
This recipe is provided courtesy of El Tiempo Cantina in Houston.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!