Granny Smith Apple & Butternut Squash Stuffing
This holiday side hits home in all the rights ways. Juicy apple, and sweet, nutty butternut squash make a great combo ;). From my expert dietitian, Rosalind Benner.
- 3 cups each peeled & cubed BUTTERNUT SQUASH & GRANNY SMITH APPLES
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium size LEEKS trimmed & chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon GROUND CINNAMON or CORIANDER optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh cracked black pepper
- 8 cup cubed dry whole wheat, multigrain or cornbread
- 1/4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup Apple juice
- Heat the oven to 325°F. Spray a 3-4 quart baking dish and set aside.
- Combine the cubed butternut squash and apples in a 2 quart microwave safe baking dish. Add 2 Tablespoons water, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on High power for 8 minutes or until butternut squash and apples are tender. Drain the water and set aside.
- Heat a heavy bottom skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the butter, olive oil and chopped leeks and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Stir in the cooked squash and apples and sprinkle with the sage, salt and pepper. Stir in the cinnamon or coriander if desired. Place the mixture in a large mixing bowl and add the bread cubes of choice; toss to coat ingredients. Add the broth and apple juice to the stuffing mixture. Add more broth if stuffing is too dry. Toss the stuffing again to coat ingredients.
- Place the stuffing in the prepare baking dish and bake uncovered on the center oven rack for 45 minutes or until golden.
- Makes: 18 servings
- Home Made Dry Bread Crumbs:
- Cut the bread into ½-inch cubes and place on sprayed baking sheet pans. Heat the oven to 300°F and bake the cubed bread for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until the bread is dry.
- Nutrition Facts: 1//2 cup Stuffing
- Calories 190, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 10 mg, Sodium 270 mg, Total carbohydrate 23 g, Dietary Fiber 4 g, Sugars 6 g, Protein 4 g.
- Reduced Calorie Version: Use 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil and eliminate the butter & Lower sauté heat to medium low for 10- minutes.
- Calories 140, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 270 mg, Total Carbohydrate 23 g, Dietary Fiber 4 g, Protein 4 g.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!