Grilled Chicken Caesar Sandwich
This recipe has everything you love about a chicken Caesar salad—tangy dressing, sharp Parmesan cheese, crisp lettuce, juicy chicken—but in the form of a hulking sandwich with smoky char from the grill. The boneless, skinless chicken thighs are marinated in olive oil, lemon, garlic, and fresh rosemary for incredible depth of flavor, but if you’re ever in a pinch for time, you can simply brush the thighs with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. We like to layer the chicken, homemade Caesar dressing spread, and crunchy salad on top of a 12-inch-long ciabatta loaf and then cut into individual portions, but you can also assemble the sandwiches on separate ciabatta rolls. This sandwich is pretty rich and comfortably serves four people, but would also serve two to three very hungry people.
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves smashed
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
Caesar Dressing Spread
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest plus 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 anchovy fillets finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- One 12-inch ciabatta loaf halved lengthwise
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 2 cups torn romaine hearts
- 2 cups torn radicchio
- 2 Tablespoons minced chives
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Shaved Parmesan cheese for serving
Marinate the Chicken
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Seal the bag and massage the chicken in the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
Make the Caesar Dressing Spread
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Season with pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Prepare the Sandwiches
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, if possible. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (about 400–450°F). Remove the chicken from the marinade, letting any excess oil drip back into the bag. Grill the chicken, covered and turning once, until it is nicely charred and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a platter, cover with foil, and keep warm. Meanwhile, drizzle the cut sides of the ciabatta with olive oil. Grill the ciabatta cut sides down until toasted and slightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Arrange the grilled ciabatta on a work surface. Smear each cut side generously with the Caesar dressing spread. Save any remaining spread for future sandwiches. Place the grilled chicken on the bottom half of the ciabatta.
- In a small bowl, toss the romaine, radicchio, chives, and lemon juice. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add some shaved Parmesan and gently toss. Pile the salad on top of the chicken. Close the sandwich and slice into 4 servings. Serve right away.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!