Did you know more oatmeal is consumed in January than any other month? And that’s a good thing – because oatmeal can help lower cholesterol and may reduce the risk of heart disease. It tastes pretty good too! This recipe is simple – just mix the ingredients the night before, and serve cold or warm the next morning.
Combine oats, milk, zest and vanilla in a bowl then cover and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, scoop oatmeal into bowls and top with pecans, bananas, blueberries and a drizzle of agave nectar.
- 2 cups rolled oats (not instant or quick cooking)
- 2 cups lowfat milk or milk substitute
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar (optional)