The classic bistro salad traditionally consists of a fried egg, bacon, crispy potatoes, and lettuce. Staying within this framework, try changing the way the egg and potatoes are prepared, even substituting smoked salmon or duck prosciutto instead of bacon.
- 8 eggs divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- canola oil for frying
- 1 pound small marble-sized potatoes in a variety of colors (red, purple, yellow)
- fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 heads Frisée Lettuce washed and trimmed of dark green tips, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 head radicchio lettuce washed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 ounces truffle cheese such as Truffle Tremor, shaved or crumbled
- 8 ounces green beans boiled until crisp-tender
- 6 slices bacon cooked until crisp, chopped
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Place 6 eggs in a strainer that will fit in the pot, and lower the strainer into the boiling water. Cook the eggs for exactly 8 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the saucepan and submerge into a bowl of ice water. Cool in the ice water for 10 minutes. Gently peel off the shells and lightly rinse the eggs, keeping the eggs intact.
- Whisk 2 eggs in a small bowl. Coat each cooked egg in the flour, then dip into the beaten eggs, and coat with breadcrumbs. Set aside until ready to fry.
- Pour the canola oil into a deep saucepan, leaving at least 4 inches from the surface to the top of the pot, and heat to 350°F.
- Gently crush each of the potatoes, while leaving them intact. Fry the potatoes in the oil until crispy. Remove and drain on a plate lined with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Reheat the oil to 350°F. Fry each breaded egg until golden brown in color. Remove from the oil and place on another plate lined with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the frisée, radicchio, cheese, green beans, and bacon in a salad bowl. Whisk the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle half of the dressing over the salad, toss to coat, and add more dressing to your desired taste.
- Divide the salad between serving plates and scatter the potatoes around the salad. Using a paring knife, make a small incision in the center of each egg, and gently open with your fingers. Place an egg on each salad and serve immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!