Thanksgiving Detox Sandwich
We all know that one of the best parts about Thanksgiving is diving into those leftovers the next day. If you’re still getting over your food coma and looking for something on the lighter side, consider this loaded sandwich with turkey, cranberry mayo, and extra vegetables. The sprouts, avocado, and cucumber keep things fresh and bright, and the two-ingredient mayonnaise holds it all together. In place of stuffing, roasted sweet potato slices add more heft without adding more bread. Thanksgiving or not, this is a feel-good sandwich that you'll want to make time and time again.
- 1 large sweet potato sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1½ Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup cranberry sauce
- 8 slices multigrain bread toasted
- 1 pound leftover turkey sliced
- ½ English cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 ripe Hass avocado halved, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 2 cups loosely packed mixed sprouts
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, toss the sweet potato with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange the slices in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast the sweet potatoes for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown and tender. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the cranberry sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the cranberry mayonnaise on each slice of toast. Arrange the turkey, a few slices of sweet potato, and some cucumber and avocado slices on 4 pieces of toast. Season with salt and pepper. Top with sprouts, close the sandwiches, and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!