vietnamese braised pork belly, pickled daikon carrot, sriracha mayo, cilantro
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- While oven is coming to temp, set your stovetop to high heat
and heat vegetable oil in cast iron skillet. Mix Chinese 5 spice, brown sugar, salt & pepper into a
dry rub and cover pork belly piece. Make sure to push the rub into the meat. Once the pork belly is covered, sear it in skillet for 4
minutes on each side to ensure that you have sealed in the juices. The pork belly should be nicely browned
on each side but not burned. Pull
the pork belly out of the skillet and let it rest.
- Without emptying the “juices” and “bits and ends” from
skillet, sauté onions and garlic for 2 minutes until browned on medium
heat. Then add dark soy, star
anise, water, rice vinegar, and brown sugar. Add pork belly to the braising liquid. The braising liquid should only rise to
halfway up the pork belly. Once
the oven has reached temp, place the skillet inside the oven and let it braise
for approximately 3 and a half hours. Pork belly should be very moist and tender and you should be able to
pull it apart at ease. Let pork
belly rest after taking it out of the oven, then chop into smaller pieces.
- Using Chinese mandolin, julienne daikon and carrot into thin
- Mix daikon, carrot, rice vinegar, chili garlic, fish sauce and
sugar. Let the mixture sit and rest.
- Mix mayonnaise, sriracha, lime juice and rice vinegar
together and place into a squeeze bottle.
- Heat tortillas on griddle or stovetop, then add pork
belly. Top with daikon/carrot
mixture, sriracha mayo and cilantro.
Vietnamese Braised Pork Belly –
- 3 ½ lb piece XX pork belly
- ¼ cup XX Chinese 5 Spice
- ¼ cup XX brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1/5 cup XX dark soy, ¼ cup light soy
- 3 pieces XX star anise
- ½ cup XX water
- ¼ cup XX rice vinegar
- ½ cup XX brown sugar
- 1 onion XX chopped
- 3 cloves XX garlic
- 1 tbsp XX vegetable oil
Daikon & Carrot Salad –
- ½ lb XX daikon
- ½ lb XX carrot, shredded
- 2-3 tbsps XX rice vinegar
- 2 tbsps XX chili garlic
- 1 tbsp XX fish sauce
- 3 tbsps XX sugar, granulated
Sriracha Mayo –
- ½ cup XX mayonnaise
- 1/6 cup XX sriracha
- 1 tbsp XX lemon juice
- 1 tbsp XX rice vinegar
- Cilantro, chopped
- Tortillas (flour or corn), 5 inch
The Peached Tortilla Banh Mi Tacos
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!