The Ruby Slipper Cafe’s Bananas Foster Pain Perdu
Butter, bananas and rum, oh my! This boozy pain perdu recipe from New Orleans Ruby Slipper Café will have you wondering how you ever made french toast any other way.
- 3 pieces French bread (1” bias cut)
- 2 cups egg custard
- 1 whole banana sliced
- 1 Tbsp raisins
- 2 fl oz Banana liquor
- 2 fl oz rum
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Heat Saute pan to medium heat. Dip French bread in egg custard then place in pan. Cook for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- In a separate saute pan add the banana liquor and rum and reduce to cook off alcohol. Add brown sugar and cook until melted.
- Add in Raisins and the banana slices. Continue cooking until syrup and then turn off heat.
- Whisk in butter until well combined.
- Place pain perdu on plate then pour sauce on top. Garnish with powdered sugar.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!