Z'Tejas Ancho Fudge Pie
This Ancho Fudge Pie from Z'Tejas in Austin is for the Mom who loves her chocolate...and a little bit of spice! Ancho chile paste and Texas pecans make this pie the perfect melding of sugar and spice...and everything nice!
- ½ lb. unsalted butter
- 2 ounces pecan halves chopped
- 2 ounces Walnuts chopped
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- brown sugar 1 TBs. plus 2 tsp.
- 6 ounces Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 tablespoons Ancho Chile paste or chile powder
- 1 egg white mixed
- 1 store-bought pie dough or make your own
- For the pie dough: Use a store bought or favorite pie crust recipe. Line a 9” pie plate with dough. Fill with pie weights and bake at 425 degrees on a baking sheet for 10-15 minutes until the crust is starting to turn golden. Remove from oven and cool.
- Place butter in a medium sauce pan and melt over medium-low heat. While the butter is melting, place nuts on a sheet tray and toast in a 350 oven for 5 minutes. Once golden and toasted, remove from the oven. Reduce oven temperature to 300.
- Place eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low speed for 1 minute, add flour and sugars. Continue to mix until all ingredients are well blended and smooth. Add chocolate chips, ancho paste or chile powder and hot nuts right out of the oven. This will help to melt the chocolate. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the hot butter to the chocolate mixture. This will melt the chocolate completely. Once all the butter has been added continue to mix until completely blended.
- Prepare pie crust and place in a 9” pie plate. Brush the egg white on the edge of the pie crust. Place pie plate on a sheet pan. Pour the chocolate nut mixture into prepared pie crust. Place in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes until center is slightly firm. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Serve with whipped cream.
This recipe is provided courtesy of Z'Tejas in Austin.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!