Cabernet Grill's Savory Sweet Potato Spoon Bread
Here's a tasty treat for your holiday table from Executive Chef Ross Burtwell of the Cabernet Grill. A sure hit at Thanksgiving!
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 cups sweet potato cooked, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 2 cups day old bread cut in 1 inch chunks
- 2 Tablespoon fresh chives minced
- 1 cup aged white cheddar
- 3 strips bacon cooked, crumbled
- 3 eggs beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 11/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon butter melted
- 2 Tablespoon walnuts chopped fine
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
Brush the inside of an 8 in casserole pan with butter and preheat oven to 350. Fold sweet potato, bread, chives, cheddar and bacon together in casserole dish.
Mix eggs, brown sugar cream and spices together well in small bowl and then pour over bread mixture. Set spoon bread in oven and bake for about 40 -50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the spoon bread comes out clean. Remove spoon bread from the oven and turn the heat up to 375.
In a small bowl mix together butter, walnuts and bread crumbs, spread on top of casserole and return to the oven to brown lightly. Serve hot.