This family-style, one-pan take on crispy shell tacos is a no-brainer on a busy weeknight! Here we use John Soules Foods’ pre-seasoned and fully-cooked chicken fajita strips for extra ease. (H-E-B shoppers, look for the H-E-B Chicken Breast Fajitas.) The loaded tacos are assembled in a casserole dish and baked until the shells are toasty and the cheese is gooey and melted. For a final flourish, we garnished the tacos with sliced chiles, Mexican crema, crisp lettuce, radish and fresh cilantro, but you should see this taco bake as a blank canvas for whatever toppings you love! They stand up well to bold salsas and crunchy slaws.
Here are a few topping combos to get you started:
- BBQ Chicken Taco: Spicy BBQ sauce + sliced red onion + creamy slaw + chives
- Chicken al Pastor Taco: Spicy salsa roja + chopped grilled pineapple + cilantro + cotija cheese
- Baja Chicken Taco: Tomatillo salsa + shredded napa cabbage + pickled red onion + avocado + lime crema
- Chicken Fajita: Sautéed bell peppers + sautéed onions + hot sauce + lime wedges
- Tandoori Chicken Taco: cilantro chutney + curried yogurt + diced cucumber + sliced chiles
- El Gringo Chicken Taco: Sour cream + pico de gallo + cheddar cheese + shredded lettuce