Recipe and image courtesy of Oasthouse Kitchen + Bar
512 Pecan Porter Chocolate Cake with a Salted Toffee Glaze
A decadent chocolate cake with scratch-made salted toffee glaze from Pastry Chef Dennis Van of Oasthouse Kitchen + Bar in Austin, TX.
- 1 cup 512 Pecan Porter
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 sticks butter melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 tbsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Salted Toffee Glaze:
- 1 stick butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
For the Cake:
- Place 512 Pecan Porter, cocoa powder and butter in a pot and heat until it all comes together.
- Place sugar into a large mixing bowl. Add beer mixture into the bowl with sugar and mix.
- Add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
- Lastly, add cake flour, baking soda and salt until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour into 8 inch round pan and bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the cake is cooled, pop it out of the pan and onto a serving tray.
For the Glaze:
- Mix all ingredients, except powdered sugar, in a pot over medium heat.
- Heat until bubbling.
- Once bubbling, turn off heat and whisk in powdered sugar.
- Pour the glaze over the cake, covering the surface.
- Let glaze cool and harden before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!