Recipe and Image courtesy of Hilton Dallas/Plano Granite Park
An awesome apple creation from Chef Vikramjit Katoch of the Hilton Dallas/Plano Granite Park. Apple Blossoms at Christmas!
- Gala apples or equivalent, peeled, cored, sliced 4 mm thin
- 4 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1/3 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Spiced Rum
- 1 each Fresh Lemon Squeeze no seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground Mace
- pinch kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp Walnuts chopped
- Pie Crust or Puff Pastry store-bought ready to use
- flour as needed
- 1 whole egg & 2 Tbsp water mixed into a "egg wash"
- 4 Tsp "Sugar in the Raw" or crystal baking sugar
- Caramel Sauce
- Vanilla ice cream
- Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Vanilla Sauce/ Crème Anglaise
- In a sauté/fry pan, melt butter and cook apples til soft.
- Add Rum & allow alcohol to evaporate while simmering.
- Add Brown sugar, Lemon juice, all spices and lower heat to “blossom” the spices.
- Remove from heat & chill filling mixture.
- Sprinkle flour across table and place cold pie crust onto surface and roll out to thin out slightly.
- Cut the dough in strips of 1 ½” inch wide by 8” long, place the apples in layers, leaving a layer half on half off the dough, and roll the strip to obtain the shape of a rose.
- Use egg wash to hold folds together in needed.
- Sprinkle walnuts into center exposed apple. Brush crust with eggwash and sprinkle with sugar to coat the dough.
- Bake on a parchment lined sheet tray and bake at 300 deg F for approx. 15 minutes or until the crust is brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately or store and reheat in oven for later service.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!