Backstreet Café Macaroni and Cheese
A 30's-era take on an American Classic...mac & cheese from Backstreet Café in H-town! This recipe requires making a Béchamel Sauce. You can try this recipe included in Prego's mac & cheese. In order to ensure the sauce from breaking, scald the milk before incorporating it to the roux.
- 1 lb macaroni pasta
- 2 tsp ½kosher salt divided
- 4 slices good-quality uncooked smoked bacon diced
- 5 oz butter divided
- cup ¼finely chopped shallots
- cup ½all-purpose flour
- 5 cups whole milk scalded
- tsp ½ground white pepper
- 3 cups Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup Pecorino cheese
- Bring 4 quarts water with 1 teaspoon salt to a boil in a large pot and cook pasta according to package directions. Strain and set aside.
- Place a heavy saucepot over medium heat, add bacon to pot and allow it to render. Remove bacon bits and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Set aside. Add shallots to pot and sauté for 2 minutes. Lower heat, add 4 ounces butter and melt completely. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour and continue stirring for 3 minutes. This will create a blond roux.
- Slowly pour in milk while whisking vigorously. Continue whisking until the sauce comes to a boil. Reduce heat and allow it to simmer for 15 minutes. Add remaining salt and white pepper. Remove from heat and add remaining butter. Stir in cooked pasta and both cheeses.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Transfer macaroni and cheese to a greased large baking dish or individual oven-proof serving dishes of your choice. Place in oven and bake 30 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with bacon bits.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!