Backstreet Cafe's Spring Risotto
We all crave something starchy on the menu, but this year, consider a creamy risotto instead of mashed or scalloped potatoes. Backstreet Cafe in Houston uses one pot to cook everything for this risotto. You want your rice to be creamy and your green vegetables to still have a slight bite.
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 3 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 6¾ cups hot water or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 3 cups sliced baby artichokes cooked
- 1 pound asparagus tips only, cooked
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 1 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Preheat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add butter. When the butter starts to foam, add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the rice and stir until well coated with the butter and onion, about 1 minute. Add wine and allow it to reduce completely.
- Add ½ cup hot water or stock and begin to constantly stir until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding ½ cup liquid at a time, allowing liquid to fully absorb before each addition. Constantly stir until rice is creamy and al dente, about 25 to 30 minutes. Add salt to taste and stir in artichokes, asparagus tips, and peas.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large platter. Garnish with Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Backstreet Cafe.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!