The Buttermilk Cafe's Breakfast Strata
When it comes to making breakfast strata from scratch, the owner of The Buttermilk Cafe knows all the secrets! As she states in the recipe, have a little fun and "Play!"
- 6 beaten eggs
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 4 ounces mayonnaise
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Several thick Slices of Sour dough bread or Gluten free (Use a bread that is coarse and chewy, not soft and spongy)
- 16 slices cooked & crispy bacon, chopped
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion or green onion
- 1 each chopped Roma tomato
- Using a 10-inch, heavy bottomed pan, place the bread in the dish.
- Add prepared bacon over bread. Layer with cheddar cheese, chopped onion, and tomato. Have fun with the design of your strata and add whatever you like: ham and asparagus, mushroom and brie, maybe even wild rice! Carol says to "play!"
- Prepare the strata base by whisky eggs well. Add sour cream to the whisked eggs, then mayonnaise, then broth. Blend well using an electric whip, or vigorously whip by hand. Pour the strata base over the mixture in the dish.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the center of the strata is set. Remove and garnish with more cheese, tomatoes, and onion.
This recipe is provided courtesy of The Buttermilk Cafe in New Braunfels.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!