Capirotada (Mexican Bread Pudding)
This festive bread pudding with nuts and fruit is a tradition in many Mexican families and submitted by Rachel Salinas of Laredo, TX! H-E-B tweaked Rachel’s recipe by using whole-grain bread, fat-free half-and-half and a little less cheese.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup BROWN SUGAR SUCRALOSE BLEND
- 11/2 cups H-E-B FAT-FREE HALF & HALF
- 1 Tbsp. H-E-B VANILLA EXTRACT
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp each CINNAMON and ANISE
- 1/2 Tsp nutmeg
- 10 slices H-E-B 100% WHOLE-GRAIN BREAD crust removed, cubed
- 3 apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup H-E-B RAISINS
- 1/2 cup sliced H-E-B ALL-NATURAL ALMONDS
- 1 cup H-E-B SHREDDED CHEESE
- Preheat oven to 375⁰F. Spray a medium baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. Place 1 ½ cups water and brown sugar sucralose blend into a saucepan and bring to a boil; remove from heat. Whisk together half & half, vanilla, egg whites, spices and sugar mixture in a mixing bowl. Place bread in prepared baking dish; cover with a layer of apples, raisins and almonds. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used. Pour liquid mixture over bread; top with cheese. Bake 35 minutes until set.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!