Chestnut Cake with Chocolate Glaze
Get a good look at this gluten-free dark chocolate chestnut cake before it's all gone! This perfect holiday dessert comes from Pastry Chef Catherine Rodriguez of The Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa.
For the Cake:
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened (114g)
- 1 can (35 oz.) chestnut spread crème de marrons (1 kilo)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Glaze:
- 10 oz. dark chocolate cacao 66% 284 g
- 1-1/2 cup whipping cream 340 g
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150C).
- Brush the pan with melted butter or spray and line with parchment.
- Cream softened butter in mixer with paddle attachment and then mix in chestnut spread.
- Separate the eggs. Add the egg yolks to chestnut and butter mixture.
- Sift cornstarch and baking powder into the chestnut and butter mixture.
- Stir until well combined.
- Beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks are formed.
- Add a small amount of egg whites to chestnut mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining egg whites until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in an 8" or 9" round cake pan for 40 to 45 minutes.
Prepare Chocolate Glaze:
- Partially melt chocolate in a double boiler. Bring the cream to a boil, and then add in the melted chocolate slowly in sections and stir to create an emulsion.
- Pour into a tall narrow container. Finish by using emulsion blender. Be sure to create a vortex to get rid of any bubbles in the ganache. Cool to 95°F - 104°F and then glaze cake. Let cake set up.
- Decorate the cake using a St. Honoré tip to create a pretty design. Finish with a candied chestnut.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!