Classic Texan Frito Pie
How's this for a fun Halloween tradition...that's totally Texan? A 'Goodtaste' viewer started this tradition many years ago. The family makes a big batch of chili for Frito Pie...to have before the kids head out for trick-or-treating.
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1/2 c Beef Broth
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 large clove garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- Salt & Black pepper to taste
- 1 can beans drained (optional), 15 oz
- 4 cups of Fritos
- 4 cups of chili
- toppings shredded cheddar, sour cream, jalapeños, etc.
- Brown ground beef, seasoned with salt & freshly ground black pepper in a large pot. Stir occasionally, until browned and drain excess fat. Over medium heat, add onions & garlic and saute, stirring occasionally until softened. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, Rotel, tomato paste and beef broth. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour, or longer (add beef broth if needed). If desired, add drained beans and allow to simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Season with salt & pepper as desired.
- Of course, Frito Pie is simple to make: place the Fritos in a bowl, top with chili and cheese and any other toppings you like. Or, if you're a true Texan, you can use the small-individual bags of Fritos, open them up and just add the chili and toppings right in the bag!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!