Craft Grill’s East Texas Sawmill Gravy for Chicken Fried Steak
Craft Grill in Tomball serves up classic southern dishes with a Texas twist, check out their recipe for the East Texas Sawmill Gravy!
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup diced white or yellow onions
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 cups milk depending on how thick you like it
- 3/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Cook bacon in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat.
- Remove from heat, let cool & then crumble.
- Add butter and onions to the skillet and cook just until onions start to turn brown.
- Turn heat down to low and slowly add the flour. Cook about three minutes or until the roux starts to smell a little nutty.
- Whisk in milk, salt and pepper, and bring to a slow boil over low heat.
- Stir often to avoid scalding.
- Add in the crumbled bacon and heat through.
- Serve over chicken fried steak or buttermilk biscuits.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!