Curry Boys BBQ’s Brisket Smokeshow
This cravable mashup of traditional BBQ and Southeast Asian from Curry Boys in San Antonio is a must try! This classic prime brisket and green curry is served out of a bright pink shipping container off of St. Mary’s—it’s a crowd favorite for a reason.
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 6 Tablespoons green curry paste
- 6 Tablespoons minced lemongrass
- ¼ cup minced garlic
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- Two 15-ounce cans full-fat coconut milk (about 4 cups)
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1 pound smoked brisket (from your favorite BBQ joint)
- 1 large russet potato cut into 1-inch chunks
- ¾ cup julienned carrot
- ½ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Homemade or store-bought crispy shallots for serving (see Note)
- Kosher salt
- 12 pickle slices
- ¼ cup chili crisp (see Note)
Making the Curry
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the green curry paste, lemongrass and garlic and stir until aromatic, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sugar and fish sauce and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, until natural oils start to come to the top of the sauce. Add the coconut milk and whisk until combined, then add the chicken stock and continue to whisk for about 30 seconds more. Once the sauce begins to boil, reduce to a simmer and reduce for about 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
Boiling the Vegetables
- In a large pot of cold salted water, add the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, about 10 minutes.
Assemble the Bowl
- In four separate bowls, add about 1 cup of cooked rice, 4 ounces of sliced brisket, about 2 cups of green curry. Top with potatoes, carrot and garnish with fried shallots, cilantro, pickles and chili crisp.
Chile crisp is an East Asian condiment made with spicy chile oil, crunchy garlic and spices. We like the brand Fly By Jing. You can buy it on amazon.com. We like the Lars brand of store-bought crispy shallots. They are great scattered over soups, mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables and this curried brisket bowl. Find them at your local grocery store or on amazon.com This recipe and photo are courtesy of Curry Boys BBQ.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!