El Mirasol’s Salsa Verde
Calm your enchilada craving. Get the recipe for the salsa verde that tops the Enchiladas Mirasol, here!
- 2 lbs tomatillos
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 2 Serrano peppers (washed and seeded)
- Chicken Stock (have at least 2-3 cups ready to use as needed)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz chopped onions
- 3 Tbsp minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp ground garlic
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- Wash and clean tomatillos and serrano peppers.
- Add tomatillos and serrano peppers to a large pot. Pour in enough chicken stock to cover tomatillos. Simmer until tomatillos are soft (approximately 15-20 minutes).
- Toward the end of the cooking time, add olive oil to a large skillet. Add onions and saute until onions are translucent. Add in the minced garlic toward the end and heat until fragrant. Set aside until.
- Pour tomatillos in a blender or food processor. Add in half a bunch of cilantro and puree for 15-20 seconds.
- Pour tomatillo mixture into the pan with the onions and garlic and simmer for about 8 minutes.
- Add in the salt, pepper, cumin, ground garlic and white pepper. Let that saute for a few minutes.
- Add in vinegar and sugar and let the mixture to continue to simmer for 5 more minutes. Add additional chicken stock to the mixture anywhere along the process if the sauce gets too thick.
- Once the sauce has cooked down a bit, taste and determine if more salt is needed. Season to taste.
- The salsa verde can be used over white cheese or chicken enchiladas
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!