Guero’s Salsa Roja
This versatile, spicy salsa from Guero’s in Austin is packed with flavor and comes together quickly. You can remove the seeds of the jalapeño for less heat or substitute a serrano pepper, which has a similar taste profile but is milder than a jalapeño. Crave the heat? Then add a habanero pepper to the mix.
- 1 8-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 charred jalapeño see Note
- ½ yellow onion finely chopped
- Small handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher salt
- In a food processor or blender combine all of the ingredients. Pulse to combine, but do not purée. Season with salt to taste.
NOTE You can char a jalapeño on the grill, under the broiler or over a gas flame on your stove top. Cook until the skin begins to blister and blacken. Let cool slightly, then peel off the charred skin, if desired. This recipe and photo are courtesy of Guero’s Taco Bar.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!