Get a good look at this gluten-free dark chocolate chestnut cake before it’s all gone! This perfect holiday dessert comes from Pastry Chef Catherine Rodriguez of The Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa.
the oven to 300 degrees F (150C).
the pan with melted butter or spray and line with parchment.
- Cream softened butter in mixer with
paddle attachment and then mix in chestnut spread.
- Separate the eggs. Add the egg yolks to chestnut and butter
- Sift cornstarch and baking powder into
the chestnut and butter mixture.
- Stir until well combined.
- Beat the egg whites on medium speed until
soft peaks are formed.
- Add a small amount of egg whites to
chestnut mixture to lighten. Fold in
remaining egg whites until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and
bake in an 8″ or 9″ round cake pan for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Partially melt
chocolate in a double boiler. Bring the
cream to a boil, and then add in the melted chocolate slowly in sections and
stir to create an emulsion.
- Pour into a
tall narrow container. Finish by using
emulsion blender. Be sure to create a
vortex to get rid of any bubbles in the ganache. Cool to 95°F – 104°F and then glaze cake. Let cake set up.
- Decorate the
cake using a St. Honoré tip to create a pretty design. Finish with a candied chestnut.
For the Cake:
- 2 tablespoons XX cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons XX baking powder
- 4 XX eggs
- 1 stick XX unsalted butter, softened (114g)
- 1 can (35 oz.) XX chestnut spread, crème de marrons (1 kilo)
- 1/8 teaspoon XX salt
Ingredients for Glaze:
- 10 oz. XX dark chocolate cacao 66% (284 g)
- 1-1/2 cup XX whipping cream (340 g)