Hugo's Chile Rellenos
Straight from the kitchen of Chef Hugo Ortega...one chile stuffed with chicken and Chihuahua cheese, served with arroz a la Mexicana and frijoles a la olla.
- 16 roasted poblano peppers seeded and skinned with stem intact
- 4 pounds cooked chicken shredded
- Salsa de Tomate recipe follows
- 2 pounds queso asadero
- Breading mixture see below
- 1 cup manteca for searing the peppers
Salsa de Tomate:
- ½ cup corn oil
- 2 onions finely diced
- 1 ½ pounds roasted tomatoes pureed
- 2 bay laurel leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground black peppers
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup grated cotija cheese
- Mix shredded chicken with salsa de tomate.
- Stuff each pepper with chicken mixture and some of the asadero cheese.
- Dredge each stuffed pepper in breading and sear in manteca.
- Finish baking the peppers in a 350-degree oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through. Sauce with pipian verde and garnish with pumpkin seeds.
For the Salsa de Tomate:
- In saucepan, heat oil and sauté onions until translucent. Add pureed tomatoes, laurel leaves, black pepper, garlic oil and salt. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
Recipe and Image courtesy of Hugo's.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!