Mongers Baked Oysters
Baked Gulf Oysters with a magnificient homemade roux from Mongers Market + Kitchen.
- 24-30 Gulf Oysters scrubbed and shucked on half shell
- 3 T butter melted
- 3 T flour
- 2 c. milk
- 1 shallot halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- salt & white pepper to taste
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 ounce Gruyere grated
- 1 ounce Parmesan grated
- 1 T Tarragon chopped
- 1 T chives chopped
- 1/3 C toasted breadcrumbs
- Combine melted butter and flour, cook over medium heat to form a roux. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan bring the milk, shallot, bay leaf and cloves to a simmer. Remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes. Discard the shallot, bay leaf and cloves.
- Bring milk back to a simmer and whisk in the roux until smooth. Cook over low heat, stirring continuously, for 10-15 minutes. Season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove from heat, stir in the cheeses and herbs. Let cool to room temperature.
- Top each oyster with 1 tablespoon of sauce and bake in a preheated oven set at 400. Top with toasted breadcrumbs and serve.
Recipe and Image courtesy of Mongers Market + Kitchen.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!