This amazing Key Lime Pie recipe from our friends at The Monument Cafe features something totally unique: a cheesecake topping!
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs with the sugar in a bowl. Add about half of the melted butter, stir to incorporate. Add more melted butter, mixing by hand until the graham cracker crumbs can be gathered/pressed in your hand and the mixture sticks together. Adding too much butter will cause the crust to become tough when baked. The sugar caramelizes with the butter creating a hard crust. Too little butter and the crust falls apart.
- Press crumb mixture into a 9” pie pan, bake for 8 – 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven until slightly browned on the edges. Set aside to cool.
Prepare the Key Lime mixture
- In a bowl, slightly whip the egg yolks to break them up, add the sweetened condensed milk to the eggs and stir with a whisk until smooth, add the lime juice and whisk until incorporated. Pout into the prepared crust and bake for 8 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
While the pie is baking, prepare the topping:
- Beat the cream cheese until completely smooth with your mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl to be sure no lumps of cream cheese are present.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix (slowly to start, the key lime juice will fly out of the bowl) until incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
- Top the baked key lime layer with the cream cheese mixture. Ladle the cream cheese mixture over the pie in concentric circles, smooth the topping with the bottom of the ladle. Refrigerate until completely cool, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- 1 ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 – 8 Tablespoons melted butter
Key Lime Pie Mixture
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 – 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 8 ounces, room temperature cream cheese
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup fresh, squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract