- 1 whole octopus poached (see recipe)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tbls black peppercorn
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 qt campechana sauce (see recipe)
- 2 cup Ketchup
- 2 cup Clamato
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1 tsp maggi
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbls canned chipotle puree
- 3 tbls jalapeno deseeded and small diced
- 1 cup red onion small med diced
- 1 1/2 cup roma tomatoes de seeded and med diced
- 3 tbls cilantro leaves rough chopped
- 1 whole avocado diced
- salt to taste
- 1 bag of your favorite chips
- 1 box of your favorite crackers
- Fill a pot with 1 gal of water, add lemon juice, white wine, black peppercorns, celery stalk, yellow onion and enough salt to make it taste like the sea.
- Bring your poaching liquid to a simmer and add your octopus to the pot slowly.
- Using tongs and holding the octopus by the head, dunk the octopus’ body into the simmering water 3 times, leaving it submerged for about 5 seconds each time. This is called “scaring” the octopus, because the tentacles will curl up as you plunge the octopus into the water. Cook for 30-45 mins or until fork tender.
- Once the octopus is cooked, it should be chilled thoroughly before dicing. After your octopus is chilled, slice off the head and discard it. If the beak is intact, push it out and discard as well.
- Remove each tentacle individually and large dice them. Keep the diced meat chilled until you combine the campechana.
Campechana Sauce Recipe
- Puree a can of chipotle peppers in the blender until smooth. Reserve 2 tbls. Combine the chipotle puree, clamato, lime juice, salt, maggi and whisk until combined. Season with more salt and lime if desired. Reserve the sauce and prepare to combine all ingredients.
- It’s time to make our campechana! Combine jalapeno, tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, campechana sauce, poached and diced octopus and mix until completely coated.
- Once combined, add the diced avocado and fold into the mixture gently so that the avocado doesn’t break down.
- Serve in a chilled bowl with your chips and crackers on the side and chow down!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!