Pappy's Cafe Scorpion Tails
Meet the ramped-up Jalapeno Popper, the Scorpion Tail! This is the perfect appetizer for any game day or something fun to make with family. Scorpion Tails have a kick of Cajun heat with the perfect amount of Jack Cheese to cool you down! The addition of shrimp packs it with protein for a delicious but filling appetizer!
- ½ lb Jumbo Shrimp
- 4 Tablespoon Melted Butter
- Cajun Seasoning
- 8-10 Large Pickled Jalapenos
- ½ ounce Shredded Jack Cheese
- 1 cup Seasoned Flour Mixture
- 4 Eggs for egg wash
- Frying Oil
- Ranch dressing or favorite dipping sauce
- Peel and devein ½ lb of jumbo shrimp.
- Coat with melted butter and dust with your favorite Cajun seasoning.
- Place shrimp on sheet pan and bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Take out and let cool.
- Using large pickled jalapenos, slice lengthwise, devein and deseed.
- Stuff jalapeno with shredded jack cheese, then place shrimp on top. Use toothpick, crosswise, to hold together. Cool for one hour
- Roll in seasoned flour mixture, dip in egg batter, roll in seasoned flour mixture, dip in egg batter, and last roll in seasoned flour mixture.
- Take toothpick out and then fry in 350-degree oil for 5 minutes OPTIONAL: Instead of deep-frying, bake in 350-degree oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve promptly with ranch dressing or dipping sauce of your choice.
This recipe is courtesy of Pappy's Cafe in Houston.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!