PB&J Oat Bars
A delicious back-to-school snack packed with fiber and protein to help kiddos (and adults) keep up their energy during long days at school or the office. These bars are super easy to make, and are perfect for on-the-go breakfasts, lunch box stuffers or after-school snacks.
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup Earth Balance vegan "butter" melted
- ¾ cup Agave Nectar*
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup smooth peanut butter
- ½ cup jam of choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray; set aside.
- Combine flour, oats, baking powder and soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine melted Earth Balance, agave nectar, and vanilla in a separate bowl and whisk together thoroughly.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix just until combined.
- Press about 75% of this mixture into bottom of prepared pan and form a flat layer of crust.
- Using an offset spatula, gently spread peanut butter over the crust layer.
- Next, gently spread the jam over the peanut butter.
- Crumble the remaining oat mixture evenly over the jam and lightly press down to form a top crust.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes until the top layer is golden brown and the edges begin to separate from the sides of the pan.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.
Recipe and Image courtesy of Wheatsville Food Co-op.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!