Pink Lemonade Cupcakes & Frosting
Just as delicious as they sound...many thanks to Butter & Company Catering in Houston for the recipe. Enjoy everyone!
- 1 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons sweetened pink lemonade drink powder Country Time for example; you can up this to three for a more intense flavor
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened, 1/2 cup
- 1/2 + 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- a few drops of red food coloring if desired
- 1/2 stick butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. pink lemonade concentrate thawed
- a few drops red food coloring
- Garnish such as colored sugar sprinkles, coconut or festive holiday candies
Other Items to have ready:
- 12 in Cupcake paper liners - H-E-B has some really fun onestheir baking aisle such as metallic or pastel, and often has especially themed versions for the holidays!
- 12- cupcake pan
- Cooling rack
- cups Flour sifter measuring & spoons
- Piping or spreading knife for frosting
- Preheat the oven to 375 and line a 12-cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder, salt and lemonade powder together.
- Cream the butter and (1/2 cup+ 1/3 cup) sugar together in a stand mixer for about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Stir the milk, lemon zest and vanilla extract together in a small bowl.
- Add to the flour to the butter mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the milk in two parts – flour, milk, flour, milk, flour. This keeps the mixture smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add the 3 Tbsp sugar and continue beating until stiff but not dry. Stir about 1/4 of the egg whites into the batter, and then fold in the rest. This will help the cake to rise. You can also add your food coloring if desired.
- Distribute the batter evenly among the cupcake pans, about 2/3 full each, then bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter, powdered sugar, and lemonade concentrate until smooth.
- Add food coloring as desired. Add a little powdered sugar if the frosting is too runny; add a little more concentrate if it is too stiff. Pipe or spread evenly onto the cooled cupcakes; then decorate with whimsy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!