In this Goodtaste original recipe, the potatoes cook low and slow in the milk, cream and aromatics until the potatoes are super tender and have absorbed the flavor of the cooking liquid. Potatoes lose a surprising amount of flavor when cooked in water, so here the liquid absorbs all of the nuances of the potatoes giving you more intense flavor. You can mash the potatoes right in the slow cooker as we do here or use a potato ricer for a smoother texture.
We prefer Yukon gold potatoes for their rich, buttery taste, but you can also replicate this recipe with sweet potatoes or even dairy free milk. Find a few ways to riff on this classic mash below:
Cacio e Pepe Mashed Potatoes
Yukon Golds + Cream + Grated Parmesan + Grated Pecorino + Freshly Ground Black Pepper + Chives for garnish
Blue Cheese-Bacon Potatoes
Yukon Golds + Whole Milk + Crumbled Blue Cheese + Chopped Bacon for garnish
Curried Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes + Coconut Milk + 1 teaspoon Curry Powder + Cilantro + Crispy Shallots and lime wedges for garnish
Salted Maple Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes + Whole Milk + ¼ cup Maple Syrup + 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon + Toasted Pecans for garnish
** Add any ground spices or sweeteners with the liquid in step 1
Rich and Creamy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 4 pounds potatoes such as Yukon gold or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 cups milk such as whole milk, heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk (see Note), plus more as needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bundle of aromatic herbs (such as sage, thyme and rosemary)
- 6 large peeled Garlic Cloves (optional)
- 1 cup Grated Cheese such as parmesan, pecorino, blue cheese or cheddar (optional)
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter (you can use dairy-free butter)
- Crispy sage leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling
- In the insert of a 5–7-quart slow cooker, add the potatoes, milk, herb bundle and garlic, if using. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the potatoes are fork tender. Stir occasionally, if possible.
- Discard the herb bundle, if using. Mash the potatoes in the slow cooker insert until smooth. Fold in the cheese and butter, if using. Add more milk or cream, if needed, until you’ve reached your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the mashed potatoes right from the slow cooker or scrape into a serving bowl. Top top with a knob of butter and garnish with crispy sage leaves, if desired. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and more black pepper.