Spinach & Parmigiano Reggiano Muffins
Who says spinach is just for Popeye and spring mix salads? These spinach muffins are both sweet and savory -- and Popeye just may stop by!
- 250 grams (9 ounces) plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 75 grams (3 ounces) Parmigiano Reggiano
- 100 grams (4 ounces) spinach, cooked, cooled and chopped
- 1 each egg
- 240 milliliters (8 fluid ounces) milk
- 90 milliliters (3 fluid ounces) vegetable oil
- Grate the Parmigiano Reggiano finely, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Put eight paper muffin cases into a muffin pan, or line them with squares of greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar, about two-thirds of the Parmigiano Reggiano and the spinach. In a large jug, beat together the egg, milk and vegetable oil. (Cook’s tips: Press out the excess water from the cooked spinach with your hands or use the back of a spoon.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients. Using a metal spoon, stir until just combined. You must not beat this mixture or stir it too much. It should be quite lumpy, but there should be no traces of dry flour.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and sprinkle the remaining Parmigiano Reggiano on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden. Serve whilst warm.
This recipe is provided courtesy of Parmigiano Reggiano.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!