Texas Honey Ham's Hambone Soup
Texas Honey Ham in Austin sells whole baked hams with a crackly honey-glazed crust. Pick up a ham to go or dine in. My favorite dish? The hearty Hambone Soup. Seven varieties of beans are simmered in an unctuous bone broth made from a whole ham! Snag the recipe here.
- 1 3-5 lb Smoked and Honey Glazed Hambone
- 2 lbs dry Beans (We use a variety of 7 different beans – pinto, black, kidney, lima, navy, great northern and split peas)
- 4 Qts Hot water
- 1 Pkt Special Seasoning (available in store or see recipe below)
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp salt
- 3-4 bay leaves
- Combine the beans, water and add seasoning blend to taste in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add Hambone and bring back to boil, reduce to a constant simmer then cover. You may need to add water occasionally, depending on your pot and stove temperature.
- Simmer for 4 hours or until beans are soft (stirring occasionally).
- Remove Hambone and large pieces of ham. Thoroughly separate and discard bone and bone pieces. Pull or chop the meat and return to pot.
- Tip: Also works in a crockpot.
Photo Credit belongs to A Spicy Perspective
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!