Tostones with Avocado Cream Sauce
Twice fried plantains or "tostones" with a scratch made avocado cream sauce courtesy of Analida's Ethnic Spoon! Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside.
- 2 green plantains
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
Avocado Cream Sauce:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ cup sour cream
- To make the avocado cream sauce: Dice avocados, place them in the food processor with all the ingredients. Process on high. The consistency should be creamy. Chill in the refrigerator.
- To make the tostones: Slice off about 1" off each end.
- Score down the length of the plantain with a paring knife. Do this in two separate spots.
- Cut 1" pieces. Fry in enough vegetable oil, to cover the pieces, until they begin to turn golden.
- Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Using the bottom of a glass press down, and sprinkle with salt. Fry again until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with the avocado cream sauce.
Recipe and Image courtesy of Analida's Ethnic Spoon.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!