Valentina's Flour Tortillas
Fire up your taste buds at Valentina's Tex-Mex BBQ. This is some of Texas' finest barbecue y'all, from a pitmaster on a mission to preserve the kind of 'cue he grew up with, and it's fantastic! Get the recipe for their tortillas here!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup pork lard Can replace with olive oil, tallow, or shortening. This will alter texture, taste, density and shelf life
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup Hot water
- Add flour, salt and baking powder to large mixing bowl.
- Mix gently but thoroughly with one hand while other hand holds bowl steady.
- Add lard or lard replacement.
- Start to mix dough with one hand while other hand remains clean, while mixing, slowly add water and continue to mix dough with one hand while the other is slowly rotating the bowl.
- Mix until dough starts to bind and come together forming a solid but soft pliable texture.
- At this point there should be little to no dough stuck to the bowl.
- Dump dough ball on to clean counter or surface to knead until dough has a smooth elastic texture.
- Let dough rest in mixing bowl with a warm towel for 15-20 min.
- Roll small balls with a round smooth surface – approximately 2 dozen dough balls.
- Dust top with flour before rolling.
- Cook on a comal or cast iron skillet in med/high heat for best results.
- Rolled tortilla should rise with dough bubbles or air pockets.
- Once pockets rise for roughly 5-10 seconds flip tortilla and cook other other side.
- Cook time will vary depending on the type of cooking surface that is chosen.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!